Location New York, NY
Reporting Relationship Chief Financial Officer
Our client is a privately held New York City real estate operating company that invests in retail, multifamily and mixed-use properties located in Manhattan.
The well-capitalized firm has earned a reputation for closing deals quickly and for building a tenant-centered service model to enhance the experience of living in Manhattan. Our client continues to actively pursue acquisition opportunities for retail condominiums, rental properties and mixed-use buildings throughout Manhattan.
The Controller will be reporting to the Chief Financial Officer and is responsible for all aspects of accounting and financial reporting.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Oversee and manage Accounting department staff, work on organizational and professional development and training.
• Responsible for all accounting, including corporate, property management, and construction accounting.
• Treasury management oversight, including managing cash and calling capital to fund investment and operating activities, as necessary.
• Management of property-level debt requirements and covenants.
• Supervise and review preparation of all required internal and external reporting in a timely manner.
• Manage internal and external auditing and tax compliance process.
• Work with other departments – Asset Management, Acquisitions, Construction, Property Management – to make sure that organizational needs are being met with respect to Accounting.
• Evaluate and update accounting and internal control policies and systems; work in tandem with Operations to improve communications and processes and increase efficiencies.
• Oversee administration of Yardi as it relates to Accounting.
• Administer payroll and 401K.
• Work with executive team on special projects.
• Budget preparation and management.
YEAR ONE CRITICAL SUCCESS FACTORS
• 10+ years of direct and relevant experience.
• Strong knowledge of GAAP.
• Familiarity with Yardi Voyager preferred.
• Experience with commercial and residential real estate.
• Highly organized with attention to detail.
• Strong management and interpersonal skills.
• Experience building and structuring an Accounting department for growth.
• Doing what is right for the business and upholding the highest industry standards.
• Maintaining a high level of integrity in regard to business policies.
• Exhibit confidence and not be afraid to ask questions to bring clarity, share ideas and challenge the norm (think outside the box).
• Actively listen to ensure you are seeking to understand before you are understood.
• Exhibit exemplary client service skills, to all people, regardless of level inside or outside of the company.
• Written and verbal communication skills should be professional, concise and effective.
• Analyze problem situations and identify the issues that must be addressed.
• Strength in inductive and inferential reasoning; ability to determine solutions in ambiguous contexts.
• “Own” your work – take initiative, be proactive, anticipate and complete projects in a comprehensive manner while still remembering the details.
• Don’t just be the student, be the teacher. Exhibit a willingness to learn, willingness to problem solve and willingness to step in to help others.
• Creativity, capacity and a conviction to innovate and deliver best-in-class solutions.
BS in Accounting required, MS or MBA in Accounting preferred. CPA designation preferred.
This individual will receive a competitive and attractive base salary and will also participate in annual incentive programs.
- Accounting / Control
10+ to 15 years