citizenM is a global owner operator providing affordable luxury hotel experiences for the mobile citizens of the world. With style that'll knock your socks off, we offer citizens a real “home away from home”... plus the world’s fluffiest pillows. Our guests are frequent travelers who are experience and design driven, and value conscious. citizenM is seen as the true innovator of the hotel industry with one of the first lifestyle concepts, centralized tech-based operations enabling a unique guest experience resulting in industry leading review scores.
The portfolio consists of >40 premium hotel properties mainly located in Europe and USA plus 2 in Asia. We currently have 25 hotels operational and 17 under development in major metropolitan cities such as NYC, Seattle, Boston, Washington DC, London, LA, Paris and Taipei with more to come in the US, Europe and Asia Pacific. We are proud to have put hospitality back into the hospitality industry, and have received numerous awards for our groundbreaking approach in service, technology and real estate.
citizenM is a fully integrated investor, property developer, hotel operator and lifestyle brand. The Development & Investment team is responsible for the real estate growth of citizenM in select target markets within North America, Europe and Asia Pacific, predominantly through its own investment vehicles. The strategy is based on developing an “asset heavy” portfolio with multiple hotels in the most important metropolitan cities. The company is backed by blue chip institutional investors GIC (Singaporean Sovereign Wealth fund with US$700Bn AUM), APG Investments (Dutch civil servants pension fund with EUR600Bn AUM) and by the founder of citizenM Rattan Chadha. Last year another $1Bn capital was raised to service the further development of the investment portfolio, which results in the necessity to grow the Global Development & Investment team. .
The Development & Investment Director North America is responsible for securing development and investment opportunities to expand citizenM in selected target markets in the United States of America. The primary responsibility will be the sourcing, underwriting, and closing of new principal investments in these target markets, defining entitlement strategy and supporting the Project Management Team who are in charge of the technical development of the project. Accompanied by some limited activities on post-opening investment management throughout the life cycle of the hotel. .
- explore (primarily East Coast) target markets, generate relevant exposure, and build extensive local networks of suitable partners (owners, developers, brokers, etc)
- negotiate and close (partnership) transactions, on a project-basis or with programmatic scope (incl. legal documentation, due diligence and closing)
- manage acquisition process, from early screening to deal closing, including coordination and input from other key citizenM departments (Operations, Finance, Design, Project Management, etc.) as well as with external partners / advisors
- produce high quality internal decision making documents (feasibility analysis, due diligence reports, investment committee memos, etc.) for senior management, investment committees and shareholders as well as managing the approval process
- support the analyst/associate(s) in the North America Development & Investment team with their role in supporting the acquisition process
- define strategy to fast track the rollout in the selected target markets
- monitor compliance of development projects within approved investment parameters, from closing of an acquisition transaction until completion of the hotel
- manage interim investment updates and reporting to senior management, investment committee and shareholders
- collaboration with (technical) project management teams on securing entitlements and land use approvals
qualifications / skills
- 7+ years’ experience as a transaction-oriented (operational) real estate investment professional with experience with multiple deal types such as fee-simple, turnkey and joint venture structures etc. Experience with share deals, ground leases are perceived beneficial
- hotel and/or property development experience is a plus, but not required
- extensive real estate development and investment network in major North American markets
- senior level presence, comfort socializing with real estate executives
- superior analytic, problem-solving, communication and negotiation skills
- extensive experience with (operational) real estate investment including financial modeling
- an empathetic team player with the ability to connect to a wide diversity of professionals from hotel operations to senior blue chip investors
- strong time and project management skills with ability to prioritize effectively
- ability to manage and further grow a small team of highly skilled in- and external specialists
- willingness to work in a global, multicultural, entrepreneurial environment, in sometimes ambiguous situations, and collaborate with multiple stakeholders with an eye towards “closing the deal”
- fluent in English both orally and in writing
- familiarity with Agile (Scrum or Kanban) ways of working a plus but not required
locations / hours
- U.S. Support office in New York City. Hybrid working is possible, not fully remote. This is a full-time position. Frequent travel required throughout the country and occasionally to central support office in The Netherlands, Europe
commitment to diversity & inclusion
citizenM is an equal opportunity employer focused on building and fostering diverse and inclusive workplaces. Through various dedicated employees, committees, and training programs, citizenM highly prioritizes social responsibility, diversity, and inclusion within the company.
This job is no longer active.