Seligman & Associates is a privately owned real estate company with holdings in 10 states. The company is innovative, entrepreneurial and consistently seeking new investment opportunities. Our vision — like our history — is long-term. We invest our talent, energy and resources with creative insight which has allowed us to grow and give back to the community for over 60 years.
The Controller is responsible for the oversight and management of finance and accounting activities for 30+ properties, which include commercial, retail, and residential. This individual will be responsible for producing timely and accurate financial reporting and analysis. The Controller will be viewed as a strategic partner to the CFO/Director of Accounting and senior management team. This will include constant problem solving and evolving the team to be a value-add to the company cross-functionally.
- Fully understand the financial needs of the business, implement best practices with an emphasis of continuous improvement. Streamline processes and create efficiencies within the accounting department.
- Oversee preparation of annual budgets, monitor operating budget statuses and measure the financial performance.
- Review monthly financial statements and supporting documentation; submit monthly reports, with variance notes, to the CFO/Director of Accounting.
- Maintain/develop a reliable cash flow projection process and reporting mechanism that includes minimum cash threshold to meet operating needs.
- Assist in preparation of insurance analysis across residential and commercial portfolios; assist in coordination and management of business insurance packages, overall risk management and audits.
- Work with the IT team to ensure that the company’s ERP (Yardi) is fully utilized, optimizing accounting workflows with property management team.
- Occasional travel necessary.
- Lead and develop team members, supervisory duties for up to 7 direct reports.
ATTRIBUTES & SKILLS
- Evidence of being detail-oriented and organized with a strong ability to think and communicate strategically.
- Strong financial background with analytical and numerical proficiency.
- Evidence of problem solving and multi-tasking skills in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to proficiently use various Microsoft Office applications.
- Effective written and oral communications skills.
- Must be flexible and able to influence team members.
- Ability to work successfully with a range of people from peers, staff, investors, vendors and other outside professionals.
- Strong problem solver.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree with a business, accounting or finance concentration.
- Master’s degree, CPA and/or Public Accounting experience would be plus.
- Real Estate experience is preferred but not required.
- Familiarity with all accounting and property management modules of Yardi software would be a plus.
- Accounting / Control
- Financial Analysis
2+ to 5 years
Apply for this job