MIG Real Estate (“MIG”) is a private real estate investment firm located in Newport Beach, California. MIG owns and operates over $2 billion of real estate investments in multi-family, office, hotel, retail and industrial properties located in the Western U.S. and Sunbelt.
MIG is currently seeking a qualified individual with at least 10 years of experience to serve as a Director of Construction for the companies ground up development as well as large scale redevelopment. The candidate will be a key team member in our development and construction group. The position will report to the Chief Operating Officer.
The Director of Construction will have responsibility for all aspects of the construction execution of development and major redevelopment projects carried out by the company. This individual will act as the Owner’s construction project manager overseeing general contractors and consultants. Primary responsibilities will be monitoring project activities so that the projects are completed within prescribed schedules and budgets, in compliance with company policies and procedures, and in accordance with federal, state, and local regulations.
Generally, the Director of Construction coordinates the pre-construction and construction efforts of large and/or complex real estate development and redevelopment projects. He or she provides the leadership for site project management functions by managing, coordinating, and developing staff of the company and third-party contractors and consultants. This person will operate with significant independence and minimal supervision as the principal project representative. The company’s projects will be located primarily on the west coast and sunbelt states, travel to these locations will be required.
Must work cooperatively with internal team members from Development, Finance, Acquisition / Dispositions, as well as the Community Managers and the company’s external vendor representatives to form and maintain a cohesive and driven project team.
- Ensure projects are completed within budget and schedule while meeting company needs, business objectives, project vision and design guidelines.
- Prepares detailed construction cost estimates and documentation for project underwriting and investment committee approvals.
- Develops scopes of work, prepares budgets in addition to soliciting bids and proposals from qualified contractors, consultants, and vendors.
- Manage the pre-qualification and bid evaluation process for consultants, contractors, and other outside vendors.
- Reviews and analyzes bids, to ensure budget and schedule compliance on all work.
- Work collaboratively with the team on due-diligence, entitlement, and acquisition support.
- Knowledge of current construction costs to evaluate bids, change orders, and lead value engineering exercises.
- Strong knowledge of contracts and skilled in contract negotiation.
- Prepares logistics plans for the project and coordinates work activities with project team to minimize disruption to the residents and the neighboring community.
- Monitors progress, measures project schedule compared to baseline, evaluates look ahead schedules to anticipate and correct any deviations from schedule.
- Ability to control contract documents, RFI, submittal, and change management processes.
- Expert in the use of web-based project management systems.
- Ability to monitor construction progress to verify work is per contract documents and executed with a high level of quality.
- Interacts with governmental branches and regulatory agencies as required to ensure that projects comply with all applicable code, legal requirements and regulations.
- Embraces technology and is constantly looking for new innovations.
- Hires, manages and develops staff as needed.
The position is a highly visible role working closely with the company’s senior executive team.
KEY SUCCESS FACTORS:
- Successful track record in developing new and/or redeveloping occupied properties.
- Collaborative, professional approach to building positive relationships across the organization.
- Self-starter and motivated team player with ability to work independently.
- Must be able to work in a fast paced, entrepreneurial work environment.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills.
- Ability to multitask and appropriately prioritize projects and tasks.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word, MS Project, project management software and relevant accounting software experience.
Our successful candidate will have a minimum of ten years of experience in managing the development and/or redevelopment of multi-family, industrial, and office product types. The candidate will have experience with a proven background managing projects from concept through completion. A strong technical background is critical for the role.
Our candidate must be a confident communicator with who is comfortable presenting to senior executives and high-level business leaders. He or she must also possess a bachelor’s degree in Architecture, Construction Management, or Engineering.
10+ to 15 years